Stables project Erskine kennels project Kittochside project St Johns project Glasgow Art Club project Bridgeton Cross project Fernery project Kibble Palace project

Benmore Fernery

There is very little historical information available on the Fernery at Benmore. It was built in the 1870’s at a time when the owner James Duncan, a sugar broker from Greenock, was carrying out extensive works on the estate and its buildings, including the erection of a picture gallery, the development of a range of glasshouses and the construction of an experimental sugar refinery.

Given the ruined state of the Fernery, photographic and other documentary evidence of the structure and past planting within the building was helpful in guiding the restoration process.

MAST was appointed by the Royal Botanic Gardens to carry out restoration of the Benmore Fernery.